S-51 quick facts
USS S-51 sank at 41 degrees 14' 30" North, 71 degrees 16' 16" West. (NY Times, Sept. 27, 1:5-8)
The following statistics are from the Portsmouth, New Hampshire Shipyard Library Archives.
SPECIFICATIONS: SS-162: dp. 903 (surf), 1230 (subm): 1.240': b. 21'10": d. 13'6": s. 14.5k (surf), 11k (subm): cpl. 38: a.5 21" tt, 1 4": cl. S-48.
The S-51 (SS-162) was laid down on 22 December 1919 by Lake Torpedo Boat Company, Bridgeport, Connecticut: launched on 20 August 1921: sponsored by Mrs. R. J. Mills and commissioned on 24 June 1922, Lt. W. S. Haas in command.
The new submarine was based at New London, Connecticut, on July 1, 1922 as a unit of Submarine Division 4 and followed a normal peacetime training cycle, operating out of her home port with visits to Newport and Providence Rhode Island. She departed from New York on 4 January 1924 for the Canal Zone to participate in winter fleet maneuvers off Panama and in the Carribean. During this cruise she visited Trinidad, Guantanamo Bay, Culebra, and St. Thomas. After returning to New York on 30 April she resumed type training off Block Island and in New England coastal waters.
On the night of 25 September 1925, the S-51 was rammed and sunk off Block Island, New York by the merchant steamer, City of Rome. Only three survivors of the 36 men on board the ill-fated submarine were recovered.
The S-51 was raised on 5 June 1926, struck from the Navy list on 27 January 1930, and sold for scrap on 23 June 1930 to the Borough Metal Company, Brooklyn, New York.